New Volunteer Information and Training Drop-In Sessions - January 2019!
LEAPS promotes Higher Education while supporting young people in secondary schools in South East Scotland.
Many of the events we deliver in school and on campus are designed around the valuable input of university student volunteers. These events include school-based workshops, campus visits and conferences held at universities in and around Edinburgh. As a LEAPS volunteer you will play a vital role, working with small groups of pupils in structured workshops led by LEAPS staff. Find out more about our events here.
If you are interested in becoming a LEAPS volunteer, finding out more and getting started is really easy. All you have to do is;
1. Attend a LEAPS Volunteer Information and Training Drop-In Session
We are offering a series of drop-in Volunteer Information and Training sessions across local universities in January 2019. If you would like to find out more about volunteering with us, simply drop-in to one of these sessions. If you decide you would like to get involved as a LEAPS volunteer, you'll receive all of the training you need to get started there and then at the drop-in session! We'll also ask you to complete an online volunteer registration form on the day and provide details of two referees.
We will cover the types of events volunteers get involved in, the pupils you will be working with, and what your role would be in a school workshop or campus based event.
Please note students in second year or above from these institutions are eligible to contribute as LEAPS volunteers (postgraduate, international and mature students all welcome). Students can attend any drop-in session at any university - it doesn't have to be your own.
You can drop-in at any point during the times listed below, and within less than 20 minutes you'll receive all of the information and training you need to get started:
- Mon 14th Jan 2019, 11am-2.30pm - Heriot Watt University (visit our stall in the main corridor, by reception)
- Tue 15th Jan 2019, 10am-2.30pm - Queen Margaret University (visit our stall in the main building, by the canteen)
- Wed 16th Jan 2019, 11am-2.30pm Edinburgh Napier University, Craiglockhart Campus (visit our stall in the main foyer)
- Fri 18th Jan 2019, 11am-2.30pm - University of Edinburgh, Moray House Campus (visit us in the LEAPS office - Room 1/06, Old Moray House)
- Wed 23rd Jan 2019, 12pm-3pm - University of Edinburgh, Moray House Campus (visit us in the LEAPS office - Room 1/06, Old Moray House)
2. Try out a LEAPS workshop and see for yourself!
Shortly after attending a training session, we encourage registered volunteers to try out a few workshops in schools and/or on campus at a date that suits you.
Workshops are well staffed by the LEAPS staff team, and new volunteers have the opportunity to shadow experienced volunteers or pair up with other new volunteers until they feel comfortable leading a small group of pupils on their own.
Workshops in local schools and events on campus run from November to March and are posted on a monthly basis on our online Volunteer Noticeboard. There is no pressure to sign up for a set number of workshops - you can decide how much you get involved!